Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Portrait and Self-Portraits Preview

1. Shoot Candidly
Sometimes posed shots can look somewhat…. posed. Some people don’t look good in a posed environment and so switching to a candid type approach can work.
Photograph your subject at work, with family or doing something that they love. This will put them more at ease and you can end up getting some special shots with them reacting naturally to the situation that they are in. You might even want to grab a longer zoom lens to take you out of their immediate zone and get really paparazzi with them.
2. Hold your camera at an angle
Horizontal and Vertical framings are not the only options when it comes to shooting portraits. While getting your images straight can be important in when shooting in these formats holding your camera on a more diagonal angle can also inject a little fun into your images.
This type of framing can add a sense of fun and energy into your shots. Just don’t ‘slightly’ do it or you’ll have people asking themselves if you might have mistakenly held your camera crooked.
3. The Casual Portrait
Wherever you are with your camera, always be on the lookout for those moments when a person's character shines though. If you have a formal portrait session with someone, make some frames of him while he straightens his tie or while she brushes her hair before the formal sitting. Walk back to the car with her and shoot her on the street. If you are on a spring picnic with the family, look for that moment of bliss when your wife leans back, sated, to enjoy the caress of the warm sun. If you're on the street, look for the impatient expression on a pedestrian's face as he waits for the light to change. Always be on the lookout for the telling moment. Every person has a story, and every picture should tell part of that story.
Environmental Portraits:
I like how this man's environment is depicted. I picked this photo because it stands out from all the other photographs.
I like this photo because this fisher looks content with his surroundings. The water in the background looks beautiful.

Self-Portraits:
I like this photo because it's not as intense and form as most other self-portraits I saw.  I chose it because it's funny and stands out from the others.
I like this photo because it's from an interesting perspective, I assume he's standing below a mirror. I chose it because I like the style of this photograph.

Casual Portraits:
I like this portrait because it's really well positioned. I chose it because the man looks formal yet full of emotion.
                                       
I like this portrait because the woman looks genuinely happy, and I also chose it because it portrays a good use of aperture.

For my portrait assignment, I plan to shoot my friend Lilly in a semi-urban setting, like an outdoor shopping mall or something of that sort. I plan to shoot during the sunset in order to achieve a nice warm lighting, and maybe shoot under a street lamp or something. I like my photos being a little dark so I won't set the shutter speed that low. And for my self-portrait, I plan to shoot in my backyard against the wall of my house in the afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment