Monday, January 9, 2017

2016 Review

This is one of my favorite photos from 2016 because it conveys the sheer power of nature, this person couldn't look any less significant when engulfed by this blizzard. The unpredictability of nature has always been and always will be terrifying.

 This picture shows two guerrilla fighters in Colombia, members of the Revolutionary armed forces of Colombia. Though they are dressed in combat gear and surrounded by weapons, they still manage to find love in each other. Marriage has been made illegal by the army, but that doesn't stop these two from being in a relationship.

I love this picture just because it looks like it's directly out of somebody's dream. A woman stands in the ocean, surrounded by friends as dozens of fireworks brighten the night sky: New Year's in Rio de Janeiro seems vaguely surreal.

Best Song of the Year:
     I think the best song of 2016 was Broccoli (feat. Lil Yachty) by D.R.A.M. This is because I like listening to rap music and also, Lil Yachty is a new rapper who was introduced this year. He has a unique outlook on life, differing from most current-day rappers. He lives for his own happiness and nobody else's: he doesn't care what people think about him, he just wants to make money and have fun and I really admire that.

Best Movie of the Year:
     Personally, the best movie I saw this year was The Magnificent Seven. It's a movie about a cowboy who is hired in order to save a town from it's tyrant leader. The cowboy takes six other people under his command, each who have a very unique set of talents, and utilizes each of them in order to take down the leader and his followers. I really liked this movie because of the exciting action, the romantic interest, the brotherly love gained by each of the men, and the hilarious comedy throughout the entire movie. I highly recommend it.

Most Important News Story of the Year:
     I think the most important news story of 2016 is the discovery of Flint, Michigan's corrupted water supply. This crisis affected thousands of innocent citizens, giving them lead poisoning: which leads to  health problems which are far worse. The water has lead to quite a few death's: leaving many families in distress. The problem is still affecting people to this day, something needs to be done about it.

Most Important Person of 2016:
     The most important person of this past year has obviously been, Donald Trump. A universal joke, nobody thought he would be nominated for the Republican party and thought it was even more impossible for him to actually win the election, yet... it happened. Trump moves into office in February and millions of people are terrified of what's to come. This hotheaded, careless, inconsiderate man is the next head of our country. And nobody knows what to do about it.

Most Important Entertainment Story of 2016:
     I think many people will agree on this one: David Bowie's death. David Bowie was a humongous icon during his peak in the music industry, he gained millions of fans. He was one of the first to blur the distinction between gender roles, wearing make-up and feminine clothing during his performances and interviews. I think his best attribute was his carelessness when it came to what people thought about him, all he cared about was his own happiness. His death came as a shock to the kids of his generation, the kids of today's day and age, and everybody in-between. Rest in peace, David Bowie.

1. This winter break, I attended my first New Year's party with my friends. I usually celebrate with my family, but my one christmas wish this year was to spend New Year's Eve with my friends. It was an unforgettable night, that's for sure. I went to a friend of a friend's apartment near the drag and it struck midnight as soon as we got there. There were fireworks going off, people screaming and kissing, music blasting, etc.

2. My resolutions for 2017 are to divert some of my attention away from my social life, and towards school and my family.

3. I'm looking forward to what comes for me in this new year: everything is unexpected.


No comments:

Post a Comment